Spotlight for Career Services Professionals
How do career centers engage students through social media? For some, increasing followers is the goal. For others, increasing likes and comments is more important. Here are several tips for increasing followers, and getting likes and comments:
- Attract students to follow your office’s social media by promising to be a good source of jobs and internships.
- Offer a donut in exchange for a follow on social media.
- Stay away from formal and academic tones, and focus on warm and playful tones in order to be approachable.
- Use a graphic or image to attract students to your message: gifs, emojis, and memes will capture students’ attention.
- Mix fun articles on professional development and cool things happening in industries with calls to action or events.
- Post real photos and videos. Tag locations, students, and student organizations.
- Take advantage of connecting with students during orientation—and throughout the semester—with a special poster campaign that asks students to follow the career center’s social media accounts and offers a drawing for a gift bag.
Do you have tips to share? Join the discussion in the NACE Community.