Join NACE for the Virtual Career Coaching Institute! Side-by-side programming maximizes time, travel, learning, and networking for candidates seeking the Board Certified Coach credential.
The NACE Virtual Coaching Certification Program (CCP) is a training program designed for career services members wishing to demonstrate their success as a career coach using proven ethical and professional standards in their pursuit of the Board Certified Coach (BCC) credential offered through the Center for Credentialing and Education, Inc. (CCE).
The BCC credential is a mark of distinction for credential holders and a source of credibility for their clients. A BCC has met professional coaching competency standards established by CCE and subject matter experts.
The BCC certification demonstrates to the public that a professional coach has:
- Met educational and training requirements.
- Passed a psychometrically sound coach-specific examination.
- Obtained experience in the field of coaching.
- Professional peer references.
- Accountability to an enforceable ethics code.
- Commitment to continuing education.
The achievement of the BCC credential solidifies the professional identity of the coach. The BCC credential is attractive to professionals who would like to provide independent third-party verification that they have achieved certain coaching competency standards.
How You Will Learn
During this 4.5-day intensive program, individuals will engage virtually (through Zoom) in blended and collaborative learning opportunities applying skills gained through small-group, whole-group, and individual practice.
Coaching Skills and Management
Course Overview: This course provides coaching strategies and best practices to establish and conduct effective and ethical coaching sessions for clients. Attendees will learn strategies and skills to create an environment that supports mutual respect and learn methods to communicate effectively during a coaching session. Attendees will use empowerment and positive reinforcement to create a coaching alliance and contribute to a practice.
Course Content Areas:
- Coaching process
- Frameworks for developing the coaching plan, including appreciative inquiry, solution focused, reframing
- Basic understanding of positive psychology and coaching
- Awareness of the coachee population, diversity, communication skills
- Accountability plan
- Analyze client feedback regarding effectiveness of coaching and goal attainment
- Create an approximative timeline for coaching services and establish a comprehensive plan
Learning Objectives: Participants in this class will learn how to integrate coaching theories and strategies into various models of coaching. Participants will learn the various modalities of coaching and services, such as using technology for virtual appointments, or in-person coaching services. Participants will also explore in practice management the importance of self-assessment as a coach, identifying one’s strengths, limits, and development gaps. Participants will come away with an understanding of personal barriers that could impact effectiveness of coaching. Understanding the importance of coach-related research to strengthen the practice will be explored as well.
Visual Thinking to Enhance Career Coaching
Course Overview: The purpose of this course is to consider how to use visual thinking in coaching as a way to help the coachee organize thoughts and improve their ability to think and communicate. Through creative activity, participants will learn how to visualize abstract thoughts into tangible concepts. The course will begin by defining visual thinking followed by looking at enhancing goal-setting, self-awareness, and development.
Course Content Areas:
- Part 1 focuses on the value of visual thinking in career coaching with specific training for the key skills, knowledge, techniques, and strategies that will lead to successful coaching sessions
- Part 2 focuses on using visual thinking to enhance goal-setting
- Part 3 focuses on using visual thinking to enhance self-awareness and development
Learning Objectives: Participants will learn the benefits and value of visual thinking, visual thinking and coaching techniques, and how visual thinking coaching techniques relate to listening and feedback skills. Additionally, participants will understand how using visual thinking can enhance goal-setting, decision-making, self-awareness, and development.
Coaching for Diverse Populations
Course Content Areas:
- Understanding diversity
- Understanding unconscious bias
- Examining the coaching process, identifying the impact of questions, and listening skills
- Understanding the role of diversity and unconscious bias in the coaching process
Learning Objectives: The course will begin with a discussion about understanding four types of diversity: internal diversity, external diversity, organizational diversity, and worldview diversity. Internal diversity is characteristics related to situations that a person is born into and factors that a person didn’t choose for themselves. Examples include race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, cultural identity, assigned sex, physical ability, and mental ability. External diversity describes things that are related to a person, but aren’t characteristics that a person was born with, such as personal interests, education, familial status, and life experiences.
The course will examine the definition of unconscious bias and introduce strategies for attendees to incorporate to become aware of their own unconscious bias.
Once a foundation is learned about diversity and unconscious bias, this course will examine the role of the coaching process; fundamentals of building rapport with a coachee; acutely listening; and being present in the moment to listen to what the coachee is saying, while also observing non-verbal communication of the coachee. This course will identify the qualities and skills of an inclusive coach and answer questions, such as: "What are safe practices that are developed in the coaching relationship?" and "How flexible and adaptable is the approach to coaching, and the communication involved and carried out?"
This course will examine appropriate reinforcement techniques throughout the helping process, such as developing a non-judgmental approach in the coaching process, modeling acceptance, facilitating openness, and modeling self-awareness.
Capstone: Career Coaching Intensive
Course Overview: In this two-day program, you will learn effective coaching techniques to use with both groups and individuals, learn how to select and apply the technique best suited for your client, and gain insight into the latest trends and tactics in career coaching. Appropriate for practitioners at all levels, Career Coaching Intensive will empower you to empower your students in their career development and job search. This two-day program incorporates facilitated discussion, guided activities, and group work to create a stimulating and engaging learning experience.
Course Content: The content of this course includes the following:
- Basic principles in coaching
- Role of the coach and coachee
- History of coaching
- Coaching theories
- Concepts in coaching
- Focus, vision, and reframing activities
- Structure of coaching
Learning Outcomes: Following this program, you will be able to:
- Define career coaching;
- Describe the foundation of coaching;
- Examine the history of coaching;
- Develop an understanding of coaching competencies and ethical standards;
- Explore key concepts of the coaching process;
- Differentiate between coaching and counseling;
- Explain the impact of language in the coaching process;
- Examine the structure of coaching;
- Use coaching strategies for individuals and groups; and
- Identify areas for continued development as a coaching practitioner.
Assessments and Coaching
Course Overview: This course will explore the use of assessments in the coaching process, such as how assessments are used and the applicability of assessments to the coachee. By understanding assessments, coaches gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of clients.
- Coaching process
- Assessments for change
- Examining the nature of assessments
- Coaching process and assessments
- Examining the feedback process
- Identifying barriers impacting the coaching process
- Evaluating strategies of assessment use appropriate to the goals of coaching
Learning Objectives: By the completion of this course, the coach will understand how the coachee will use the unique insights provided by assessments to help guide their reflection and move them toward their goals. Coaches will also learn how to identify factors that will impact the coaching process. The coach will be able to identify and clarify coachee readiness, progress toward meeting goals, and identify strengths of the coachee related to stated goals. Participants will be able to understand how to use assessments, how assessments work with the populations with which the coach works, and the multicultural and diversity topics related to use of assessments.
- Identify existing factors affecting the coaching process: client support system, attitude, and social factors;
- Establish appropriate career goals based on client preferences and assessment results;
- Assist the client in correlating stated goals and current state;
- Evaluate assessment tools for purpose, appropriateness, and accessibility; and
- Select appropriate assessments based on a client scenario review.
Ethical and Professional Practice in Coaching
Course Overview: In this course, participants will understand the importance of building a relationship of trust in the coaching partnership. Participants will explore what a commitment is and confidentiality on the coach’s side as well as the understanding of ethics and responsibility of the practice.
Following this program, you will be able to:
- Understand confidentiality and building trust in the coaching partnership
- Understand the ethics in coaching: practice liability, releasing of information
- Obtain agreement on the parameters of confidentiality in coaching
- Identify any dual relationship issues that could influence the coaching process
- Understand coachee agreement on the nature and limits of coaching
- Obtain agreement on the process of confidentiality in coaching
- Inform the coachee about legal dimensions of the coaching relationship
- Agree to accessibility protocols
- Obtain authorization for release of coachee information
- Practice liability risk management
- Inform coachees of ethical standards of coaching
Learning Objectives: After this webinar, participants will be able to understand the importance of trust, confidentiality, and the parameters of a coaching relationship. Participants will explore the concepts of ethics and responsibility of the practice of coaching. At the end of this webinar, participants will have a firm understanding of how to manage their practice on a team or independently, keeping in mind the significance of coaching protocols, confidentiality, and scope of practice.