Passed on July 22, 2014, the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act (WIOA) is the first reform of the work force system in more than 15 years and is designed to transform federally funded job training programs. WIOA went into effect on July 1, 2015, but the Department of Labor is not expected to provide final regulations for WIOA until sometime in 2016. (Guidance and resources are available through the DOL Employment and Training Administration.)
Key highlights include:
- The bill mandates cooperation among the U.S. Department of Education, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the U.S. Department of Labor.
- It aligns DOL and Rehabilitation Act programs.
- It strengthens/streamlines business-led state and local work force development boards.
- The bill emphasizes including employers so that training is aligned with needed skills.
- It improves services to individuals with disabilities.
For more information about WIOA, see www.doleta.gov/WIOA/.